Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Round Two

1 year, 1 month and 8 days after my original diagnosis, I'm back at square one again. This time with even higher stakes.

I'm writing this post with a very heavy heart tonight. I don't feel at all like writing, but I can't get the idea I should write out of my head. So here I am. Also, it's so hard to update all my very sweet dear friends and loved ones when I have a lot to say and I'm feeling every emotion in the whole world at one time. So this post will help me get it all out there.

A couple weeks ago, my entire family was sick. Sawyer had a cold, then a stomach bug, then ear infection. Steven had a small bout of the stomach bug and cold symptoms also. I had a raging sinus infection and also an 8 hr stomach bug. It wasn't a fun week. We had 4 doctor visits between the 3 of us in a week. So, that being said, last week I starting having some pretty bad headaches. I didn't pay much attention, b/c I have been prone to headaches a lot in my adult life, and I also chalked it up to possible leftover sinus pressure/crud from my sinus infection.

However, these headaches were sort of different in that they were across my forehead and across the back of my head. Saturday, I slept until 2 in the afternoon from the pain. I've taken 3 goody powders in this last week, (more than I've ever taken in my whole life I'm sure). Last week, the goodys worked and also ibuprofen helped some.

Monday at work, I was having terrible pain in my forehead, it just hurt so bad, I didn't want to move or talk. The pain was sort a tight gripped feeling, lasting maybe a minute, then subsiding back to the pain level before the little attack. After a few good-natured, light hearted jokes about aneurysms and brain tumors (hey we're nurses after all), I decided, with some pushing from my nurse friends to go to the ED downstairs for a work up.

I was surprised, but they didn't brush me off, or dismiss my symptoms, I guess considering my history. The doc ordered blood and urine workups, gallbladder U/S, Head CT, and then ended with an MRI. The CT was a bit inconclusive from the way the doc explained it, (I didn't actually get to see that report). Doc said it showed some edema in the back of my brain. They ordered the MRI then.

I knew something was up the second the doc walked back in the room. This ain't my first rodeo. He sat down beside Steven, and had such a sad, helpless look on his face. I don't think he could physically say the words to me,  he simply handed the report to me. The MRI impression says, and I paraphrase, multiple lesions in cerebral hemispheres and cerebellar hemispheres consistent with metastatic disease. The largest lesion is 3x2 cm, and another lesion is 1x2 cm.

Steven held it together for me really well at that point. I, however, lost my mind. I was so angry!! How could this be happening AGAIN. I remember just saying 'this is just not real, this is not happening right now, it's just not'. They ended up giving me IM ativan. I just couldn't take it, I could not stop sobbing. It was like I ran full force into a brick wall, yet again. I think I can try my best to put my feelings/thoughts into words for you, but I don't know that I could ever fully explain myself. It's nothing you can prepare for. Nothing anyone says will make it better. It is just a dark scary moment, filled with emotions that simply aren't explainable, even though I'm trying.

We left the hospital, faced with the task of telling our friends and family. Having no idea what to tell them other than the MRI results. We debated waiting until after Christmas, to spare everyone the heartache, and just have a good Christmas. But we didn't feel we could hold it in and also both of our families would have been angry had we waited. So we decided to just tell what we knew.

I was prepared a while back for possible bone mets, but I've never researched brain mets. If we learned about them in nursing school, that knowledge has long since evaporated. So, we went to my mama's first. It was just awful. That's all I know. Telling people you love something like this. It was bad the first time around and this time was just the same. Mama called my sisters, a couple of them came over. I didn't have any answers to tell them about what was going to happen, what were treatment options, nothing. We just sat and cried together. It doesn't take a whole lot of knowledge to know brain mets are bad news. Steven called his mom. It was pretty late by then, so I don't think we told anyone else.

I couldn't wait to get home and hug my baby. My sweet, innocent, precious gift from God. Sawyer keeps me together. He is my motivation, my joy, my everything. The absolute thought of having to leave this earth, leave him and Steven behind, it's heartbreaking. And that word does no justice for the gut-wrenching, all consuming sadness, anger, desperation I feel in the pit of my stomach when I let my mind go there. I'm trying to not let my mind go there.

So today I saw my oncologist and radiation oncologist. The plan is for another CT scan in the morning, to help them set up my radiation treatments. I'm to have 'whole brain radiation therapy'. Doctor said should last about 4 weeks. (I know I sent out a mass text today, saying I would have gamma knife radiation for only 2 weeks with 80% chance of effectiveness, however, that was info my oncologist gave me, and the radiation doc had another more aggressive plan in mind, with good reasons she patiently explained to us.)

During this month of WBRT, I will most-likely experience fatigue, partial (or full maybe) hair loss, my scalp with be irritated, I'll have nausea, my ears will be burned and my eyes will be dry. And, most importantly, some of the paperwork says I can't drive (?!?!). I am not happy about that at all and will be asking more questions about this tomorrow. My oncologist would like for me to not work during radiation treatments and apply for short term disability. Then she would like me to apply for SS long term disability. Which I am not happy about either. I love my job, although stressful and sad sometimes. It gives me a purpose, like I'm doing something to somehow serve the community. It's fulfilling, most days :) And I don't know how I feel about just giving that up and walking away. And I love the people I work with and I know it may sound trivial, being that I was just told I have brain mets, but it does make me sad to think I may not see my work friends everyday anymore, and I am so blessed to work with some truly special people. All this work stuff just breaks my heart again. And to hear my doctor telling me I shouldn't work anymore induced another snot-flying mental breakdown tearful episode. I've about reached my quota on those by the way. My doctor thinks I should focus only on my treatments, my healing and my family. I understand what she's saying, I do.

But it's just too many changes at once being hurled at me. I feel helpless and like I'm in control of nothing right now. I don't really even think I have time for a 2nd opinion. I think it's pretty critical to get radiation started right away. This week they will do all the calculations/dosage stuff, make my molds, etc, and I will start radiation the day after Christmas I think they said. I just have to trust their opinions and trust that God put me with these doctors in the beginning and it's still the right place to be. After radiation is complete, they will scan my head again to see how much progress was made and hopefully all the tumors will have shrunk, or went away.

The rest of the plan is for a PET scan and bone scan first week of January to make sure cancer hasn't set up camp elsewhere in my body. If so, chemo will commence once again, I'm assuming with another port being placed. Hopefully the after radiation head scan will be clear and this PET and bones scan will be clear and we'll be good for a while.

I did ask both doctors about prognosis. I couldn't help myself. Neither wanted to give me a definite answer, or rather, couldn't give me a definite answer. My radiation doctor said nothing is imminent. Oncologist said "Textbook" expectancy is one year, but can be longer of course. I have friends who have lived for years after brain mets diagnosis. Not decades, but years. I will be praying for years.

Me and Steven have had conversation the past 24 hours I never, ever thought we would have. Morbid, sad, awful things we've talked about, and we have to. I'm thinking this stuff, and he is too, we have to get it out, so there are no elephants in the room, so to speak. He has also made promises to me that honestly somehow do make things a little better. I knew I married a good man, but these situations have brought out the best in him. He tells me and shows me time and again he is committed to me and Sawyer 100% and that we will never, ever be alone. (He has his faults but the good far far outweighs any bad). I know I pick on him and give him grief, but marrying him was about the smartest thing I've ever done, (besides asking Jesus in my heart). I would like to put out there that he has never let me down in any way that mattered (I won't hold it against him that he doesn't take out the trash when I tell him to). He is my best friend and I love him so much. Steven said a lot of other really genuine, sweet things from his heart today, but I'm going to get in trouble for writing this little bit, so I'll stop. :) 

Our plan personally is to focus on getting this treatment started and giving our son a wonderful Christmas. We know my life is in the Lords hands. He has provided for me my whole life, been there from the very moment of conception, and I know he's got me in the palm of his hand, he knows my every need, he understands all the emotions I'm unable to give words to. He understands me. He is the source of my strength and he will carry me through this. I don't know what the outcome is going to be for me. But I have to put all my trust in the Lord.

Please pray with me. I am praying the radiation works like a charm, the tumors disappear, and all scans of my head and body are clean. I want to see my little boy grow up and I want to enjoy life with my husband. My God is the creator of the heavens and earth. And he is still in the healing and miracle business. Please pray.

Thank ya'll for all the texts and calls. I will get back with everybody at some point, I promise. I love you all.

~Elisha


P.S. I post all this stuff not for a pity party and I hope it doesn't come off like that. I post to keep people up to date and I also hope you guys take something away from all this too.  Don't take anything for granted, enjoy every moment of every day! We are so blessed! What we think are big things are nothing at all. Just nothing. What matters, I've learned, is family, our babies, friends, laughs, hugs, (good food) and the love we all share and the love of Jesus.

14 comments:

  1. It broke my heart to hear this news, but you are such a fighter and God is taking care of you! When you are so broken that you cannot pray the words, the Holy Spirit will communicate for you. (In the same way the Spirit also joins to help in our weakness, because we do not know what to pray for as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with unspoken groanings. Romans 8:26) Praying for you still and I'll see you soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a fellow nurse, my heart is aching for you and your family. Having knowledge as a nurse leads to diagnoses without a shred of sugarcoating, you know exactly what you are up against. I will be praying. Keep writing, it may indeed help you with the stress, even if its only brief. You are an amazing inspiration and thank you for sharing your story. May God envelope you with his Grace, Mercy and Healing. Lisa L. (friend of your sister Holly)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elisha ~

    I am so sorry that this is happening to you again. I don't understand it. I don't like it. I wish there was something I could say to give you comfort. But there are no words. Just know my family is continually praying for your family. We love you very much.

    Hugs,
    Marci

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not know you, but your story compels me to write these words. My hearts aches for you. As a cancer survivor, Christian, wife and mother of a 4 1/2 year old, I cannot express how much I want to ask God to heal you at this very moment and relieve you and your family of this terrible...I can't even find the words to describe what I am trying to say. All I know is that God's plan for you must be greater than one can comprehend. I know that God has a plan for us all, but yours I feel must be even greater.

    My best to my sister in Christ,
    Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not know you, but I stopped aftter reading this and prayed for you and your family and will continue to do so. Whenever you are able I pray that somehow I will see more updates of your progress. We serve a very great God who is able to do all that we ask! God Bless and have that wonderful Christmas for you and your entire family! Kay

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw your blog after a friend requested prayer for you on facebook. I do not know you but you are my sister in Christ. I just sobbed as I read your story and immediately added you to my prayer list. I know there are no words...particularly from a stranger...but I will pray for grace, comfort, peace, assurance, strength - beyond measure- for you and your family. For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I've committed unto Him against that day. God bless you, sister. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw this link from my friend Laura's facebook page. I am committing to pray for you daily. I can't imagine what you are going through, but I am thankful that I know Who you are going through it with. Wishing you the Merriest Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elisha, my daughter shared your blog with me. Hopefully because she knows her mom is a prayer warrior. I have put your name in my prayer journal and promise to lift you up daily. I have already begun to pray for you. Even though I don't know you, I admire you so. You a beautiful young woman. Just as beautiful on the inside as on the outside. I know it's hard sometimes, but keep that remarkable faith you have in Jesus Christ. He will get you through this current trial. He promises good to those who love Him and it's very obvious that you do. My prayer is that you and your family will feel His Peace; that awesome Peace that transcends all our understandings. I encourage you to stay connected with Him during this journey. I have found that He definitely speaks to us through scripture as well as through many other avenues. We just need to be attentive to His voice. Not always(and sometimes never)audible. As I still grow in my faith, I'm learning how important it is to have a true relationship with my Creator. Please remember, He promises to never leave you or forsake you (and He stands behind His promises!) Take care, follow doctors' orders, and be sure to let your friends and family love on you. If someone offers to bring a meal, clean your house, run an errand, whatever; take them up on it. They are offering because of their love for you and your family. May I also recommend the daily devotional, 'Jesus Calling' by Sarah Young, if you don't already have it. It's a wonderful small devotional. Once again, you are in my prayers.
    Knowing He Hears, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know you, but I have tears in my eyes as I write this. Please know that you are in my prayers. Until a friend posted this link--I had never heard your name, nor do I know your story. But you, my dear sister, have touched my heart.

    This month marks a year since I heard the word--remission. I was dealing with my first recurrence of ovarian cancer--a type that is incurable according to the experts. The best they can offer is to treat every recurrence and wait for the next. But I know someone who is far greater than any expert here on earth--for He created it and me--and He created you. It was a hard road, but I made it. I fully expect you to join me in the group of people who hear the wonderful word "remission" all the while knowing God is whispering "HEALED".

    Thank you for opening up and sharing this journey with us. Thank you for allowing us to walk this journey with you. We will be here to hold you up in prayer, just as your family and friends do in real life. Please don't stop from speaking your fears, your struggles, and your triumphs--because that is how we will know how to best pray for each step towards your full, and complete recovery.

    There are tons of scriptures that mention God's promises of healing throughout the Bible. But my favorite one during my walk last year was (and still is) Psalm 118:17. "For I will not die, but live, and will proclaim what the Lord has done." So, I offer that scripture to you as a token of what He has done in my own life--as a testimony of HIS faithfulness even in our darkness. He is holding you close and I speak life over this situation in Jesus' name for there is power in His blood.

    Find a scripture that stirs your heart and speak it out loud, daily. Claim it. Believe it. Live it. And remember--God doesn't break His promises.

    Many blessings, my friend and sister in Christ...my prayer surround you and your family.

    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elisham you are so strong for sharing this. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. There aren't any words I can say, but I'm so very very sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will also be praying for you. I work in oncology every day, but nothing prepares me for the heartbreaking story of how a diagnosis of cancer, either intially or as recurrence, distrupts people's lives. Your story, reaffirms my belief that medicine is necessary but only one part of treatment. Keep praying and believing, and hold faith that a long-term or permanent remission will once again be yours. God hears all requests and we will all be praying that he answers ours abundently. Your message and story underscores the intangibles of being diagnosed with cancer. Long after the biospies and scans, the emotional impact of this disease is overwhelming for patients and families. May God give you piece of mind that all will end well. Your story is difficult to read and offers a unique picture into the totality of this diagnosis. May God be with you over the coming weeks and keep you from suffering any ill effectgs of treatment.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of the most powerful healing verse from the Bible. Acts 9:34 "Jesus Christ heals you!" Believe with all your heart. GOD will take care of the rest. Praying for you daily.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My thoughts and prayers are with you my friend. Love you, Melody

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lord, I thank you for this wonderful child, Elisha. You know her hurts and fears. Father take them from her. Carry her now as she walks through the valley of the shadow of death. You are the Good Shepherd and we trust in you. I lift up Elisha, Steven, and Sawyer to you Father, they are in your hands. Your will be done. In Jesus name. Amen

    Thank you for sharing your story. You are brave. I came into contact with your story through my LifeChurch friend. I lost my step-father to lung cancer that ended up metastasizing to his brain. However, he had 20 lesions when they realized it had traveled there. I am so very, very thankful that they caught yours early. I have also added you to my personal prayer list that I pray for daily. I understand what you are and about to go through. My heart breaks for you and your family. Emmanuel!

    ReplyDelete